A journey to search my soul

This is a blog of my personal collections. The purpose of this blog is to educate myself and public in regards to antiquities especially related to religion and calligraphy. I welcome everyone to input their feedback in this blog which they think would be helpful. I do not watermark the photos in this blog so everyone is free to use them as long as they are not used for illegal and unethical reasons. I appreciate if you could notify me if you plan to use any of the photos here. Enjoy browsing!!

Friday, November 18, 2011

Ancient manuscript Review 26 : Antique Demak Quran (19th century)



This is a unique handwritten Quran from Demak,Java Island Indonesia. I acquired it from a friend in Indonesia sometime in 2004. This is the only known handwritten Quran from Demak. It binded in Moroccon red leather and written in fine naskh calligraphy. Few pages have beautiful colorful sun-like disc in margin. Knowing the importance and the uniqueness of this manuscript, I have contacted the National Library of Malaysia. This manuscript now in national Library of Malaysia with full protection & conservation.This Quran surprisingly has a colophon. Unfortunately I have lost the pictures and the details of its date & copyist.

Manuscript Specs

Item : A handwritten Demak Quran
Content : A complete Quran
Dim : 13" x 8" x 2.5"
Date : 19th century
Copyist : TBA
Origin : Demak, Indonesia
Calligraphy : Nasqh
Design : Text written in Nasqh script on thick inlaid paper with vowel & diacritical signs in black. 15 lines per page.
Purchased Price :USD

No comments:

Post a Comment