A journey to search my soul

This is a blog of my personal collections. The purpose of this blog is to educate myself and public in regards to antiquities especially related to religion and calligraphy. I welcome everyone to input their feedback in this blog which they think would be helpful. I do not watermark the photos in this blog so everyone is free to use them as long as they are not used for illegal and unethical reasons. I appreciate if you could notify me if you plan to use any of the photos here. Enjoy browsing!!

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Ancient Manuscript Review 175 : Antique Quran Frontispiece Page Saadi Dynasty ( 16th-17th Century )


This is an illuminated page or a frontispiece found in one of my Maghribi Quran from Saadi era. It is beautifully colored with natural dye and decorated with symmetrical foliage.
In this frontispiece, overall design is fully covered with leafy shoots with curling, flat, rounded and pointed leaves, joined to a stem which is covered by their movement.
In the middle of this page, these foliates are overlapping each other and forming a geometric design forming 8-point star.
Colors used in this design are red, turquoise, white, gold and yellow


Compare the other illuminated page from the same manuscript below

Maghribi Quran Patron Page



Dim : 200mm x 180mm
Date : 16th Century CE (Saadi Dynasty)
Material : Western Paper
Origin : Morocco
Ref : Royal Illuminated Manuscripts of Morocco

No comments:

Post a Comment