A journey to search my soul

This is a blog of my personal collections. The purpose of this blog is to educate myself and public in regards to antiquities especially related to religion and calligraphy. I welcome everyone to input their feedback in this blog which they think would be helpful. I do not watermark the photos in this blog so everyone is free to use them as long as they are not used for illegal and unethical reasons. I appreciate if you could notify me if you plan to use any of the photos here. Enjoy browsing!!

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Ancient Manuscript Review 100 : Antique Bihari Quran Prayer ( 1180 AH)




These are some fragments taken from a Bihari Quran. 4 folios written in now-extincted Bihari script of a Khatamul Quran prayer.




Codicology
Title Page : Nil
Content    : Doa Khatamul Quran
Date         : 1180 AH ( 1766 CE)
Copyist    : Anonymous
Patron      : Hafiz Nur Muhammad ..indechiperable.. And the last owner was Muhammad Hussain
Origin      : India
Place acquired : Punjab Pakistan
Illuminations : Nil
Calligraphy : Main text in Bihari script. Notes in margin in Nastaliq
Number of lines :9 lines per page
Inks          : Black with words "Allah" & " Muhammad" in red
Punctuation: yellow sphere with multi color dots around it.
Frame       : Blue single outer line with inner double red line frame
History of Manuscript : Originally a complete Bihari Quran owned by Hafiz Nur Muhammad and later transferred hand to Muhammad Hussain. The prayers were desecrated from the main Quran and sold to a friend in Punjab. I acquired this prayer folios from him in 2013.
Number of folios : 4 ff
Support of writing : Brownish oriental paper
Gatherings : N/A
Catchwords :Nil
Dimensions : 27.0 cm x 18.5 cm
Binding   : Nil
Estimated Market Price :
Purchased Price : USD
Remarks : The calligraphy in this manuscript is quite thick compared to my other Bihari Qurans.
                 See my other Bihari Qurans

No comments:

Post a Comment