A journey to search my soul

This is a blog of my personal collections. The purpose of this blog is to educate myself and public in regards to antiquities especially related to religion and calligraphy. I welcome everyone to input their feedback in this blog which they think would be helpful. I do not watermark the photos in this blog so everyone is free to use them as long as they are not used for illegal and unethical reasons. I appreciate if you could notify me if you plan to use any of the photos here. Enjoy browsing!!

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Ancient Manuscript Review 120 : Antique Hijazi Quran on vellum / parchment ( 8th Century CE)


This is Quranic verses written in Hijazi script on a brownish vellum. Acquired from an acquaintance in Paris. The vellum originally belonged to a Professor of Islamic Art. I couldn't verify the exact date of this vellum however based on the script ( Hijazi), I would estimate it around 8th -9th century CE.
This leaf contains Surah Al Araaf ( chapter 7) from verse 22 till verse 25.

Similar leaf is on display in London Central Mosque Gallery. The leaf is believed from the same source containing the same chapter but from verse 19 till 22. The website is as below :
ExhibitionIslamUK
Quran Leaf

From my research, I discovered that a similar leaf was sold in Ebay in 2007 for USD1000. See below for the link
Hijazi vellum on Ebay 
See my other Hijazi Quranic parchment on this link

Codicology
Title Page : Nil
Content    : Quranic Verses. Chapter 7 ( Surah Al Araf) verse 22-25
Date         : 8th Century CE
Copyist    : Anonymous
Patron      : Nil
Origin      : Middle East
Place acquired : Paris
Illuminations : Nil
Calligraphy : Hijazi
Number of lines :5 lines per page
Inks          : Black
Punctuation: 6 black dots
Frame       :  Nil
History of Manuscript : Originally belonged to a Professor of Islamic Art in Paris. His family sold some of these vellum to a friend. I acquired this vellum from him in 2013.
Number of folios : 1 f
Support of writing : Brownish vellum
Gatherings : N/A
Catchwords :Nil
Dimensions : 18.0 cm x 14.0 cm
Binding   : Nil
Estimated Market Price :
Purchased Price : USD
Remarks : The vellum is a bit glossy as if a protective layer has been applied to the surface. The ink is black but some places where the ink faded leaving red stains The vellum is a bit hard & thick.

1 comment: