A journey to search my soul

This is a blog of my personal collections. The purpose of this blog is to educate myself and public in regards to antiquities especially related to religion and calligraphy. I welcome everyone to input their feedback in this blog which they think would be helpful. I do not watermark the photos in this blog so everyone is free to use them as long as they are not used for illegal and unethical reasons. I appreciate if you could notify me if you plan to use any of the photos here. Enjoy browsing!!

Friday, October 17, 2014

Ancient Manuscript Review 138 : Antique African Quran 18th Century CE










I acquired this illuminated Quran from Istanbul in 2014. When I first looked at this manuscript, I thought it was a Chinese manuscript due to strong and bold certain characters especially  ر &  ى
 with elongated tails. The bright handpainted floral motive also a typical Chinese manuscript characteristic.
However the more I looked at it, I realized it is not Chinese's. The are not elongated like a sword like a typical Sini khat. The way it was binded with the use of cloth to attach the bind is typical of African. A lot of African Quran using floral motive in their Quran illumination.
I am comparing this Quran with my Quran from Somalia & Etiopia. The Somalia Quran tends to highlight the word Allah in red whereas this Quran khat more resemblance to the Quran from Etiopia.
I believe this Quran originated from East Africa and it could be Etiopia. This manuscript also has a very strong odor of leather similar to my other African manuscripts. If you have a similar Quran like mine and know the origin please feel free to let me know.
 See below my Quran from Somalia & Etiopia
Somali Quran
30 volumes Etiopian Quran
Etiopian Quran Comparison

Manuscript Specs


Item : Antique Africa Quran segment 
Manuscript Content : Quran
Dim : 23 cm x 17 cm x 2 cm
Date : 18-19th century
Copyist : 
Origin : Possible Africa
Calligraphy : Sudani??
Design : Written in Sudani scripts in black
Purchased Price :US

No comments:

Post a Comment