A journey to search my soul

This is a blog of my personal collections. The purpose of this blog is to educate myself and public in regards to antiquities especially related to religion and calligraphy. I welcome everyone to input their feedback in this blog which they think would be helpful. I do not watermark the photos in this blog so everyone is free to use them as long as they are not used for illegal and unethical reasons. I appreciate if you could notify me if you plan to use any of the photos here. Enjoy browsing!!

Monday, November 16, 2015

Ancient Artifact Review 56 : Antique Ottoman Calligraphers' Scissors (19th Century)


This pair of scissors is a part of calligrapher kits. The scribes normally have 2 type of scissors; the first one is called a calligrapher scissors and the second one is called book binder scissors.
The one in this review is the first one which is the calligrapher scissors.
This scissors is used to cut thin paper. It has long and thin blades so that it can cut a thin paper with a single move. When their blades are closed and on each other, they look as if to have a single blade.


The scissors in review is made of steel and ornamented in gold.The inlays have floral & foliate motives on both side of the scissors. Handles are made of brass.
See my other Ottoman scissors at


Ottoman Scissors



Artifact Specs

Item : Antique  Ottoman Calligrapher Scissors
Description : A pair of steel scissors with floral & foliate gold inlaid and brass handles
Dim : 260mm
Date : 18-19th century
Origin : Turkey
Purchased Price :US

No comments:

Post a Comment