A journey to search my soul

This is a blog of my personal collections. The purpose of this blog is to educate myself and public in regards to antiquities especially related to religion and calligraphy. I welcome everyone to input their feedback in this blog which they think would be helpful. I do not watermark the photos in this blog so everyone is free to use them as long as they are not used for illegal and unethical reasons. I appreciate if you could notify me if you plan to use any of the photos here. Enjoy browsing!!

Friday, January 4, 2013

Ancient Manuscript Review 98 : Antique Etiopia Quran ( 18th Century)






These are my another set of  manuscripts in juz form originated from Etiopia. Its believed to have been written in 18-19th century. This manuscript is written in Sudanese type calligraphy in black ink on western paper 11 lines to a page. I still need to do more research about this type of calligraphy. It looks in between Sudani & Somali calligraphy but definitely stemmed from Maghribi style. Brown leather binding with a flap.
This set is quite plain compared to my other Etiopian Quran. There is no decoration or illumination on the opening surah.



There are supposed to have 30 manuscripts ( 30 juzs) for the complete Quran. However I only managed to acquire 18 manuscripts out of 30. This is a very rare acquisition because we dont see many Etiopian Quran in the market or in international hands. I am blessed to have acquired these manuscripts. 
Look my other Etiopia Quran for comparison :
Etiopia Quran ( 30 volumes)
Etiopia Quran ( 3 volumes)


Manuscript Specs


Item : Antique Etiopia Quran
Manuscript Content : 18 juzu of Quran
Dim : 18 cm x 13 cm x 2 cm
Date : 18-19th century
Copyist : anonymous
Origin : Etiopia
Calligraphy : Sudani??
Design : Written in Sudani scripts in black
Purchased Price :US

1 comment:

  1. Yes, very rare to find Ethiopian Qur'an. And I was surprise to find them bound separately according to juz'. just like the Chinese Qur'ans.

    ReplyDelete