A journey to search my soul

This is a blog of my personal collections. The purpose of this blog is to educate myself and public in regards to antiquities especially related to religion and calligraphy. I welcome everyone to input their feedback in this blog which they think would be helpful. I do not watermark the photos in this blog so everyone is free to use them as long as they are not used for illegal and unethical reasons. I appreciate if you could notify me if you plan to use any of the photos here. Enjoy browsing!!

Friday, March 28, 2014

Ancient Manuscript Review 131 : Antique Quran Giant Leaf in Muhaqqaq Script ( circa 17th CE)



This is a leaf I bought from Istanbul bazaar. I purchased it due to its big size (42cm x 35cm) and the style of calligraphy i.e The Muhaqqaq. We dont see many Quran written in this script and size except prior 18th century. This leaf I estimated written from 17th to 18th century CE.

 Codicology

Title Page :
Content    : Surah  from Al Quran
Date         :17-18th century
Copyist    : Anonymous
Patron      : n/a
Origin      :Turkey
Place acquired : Istanbul
Illuminations : Nil
Calligraphy : Main text in Muhaqqaq script.
Number of lines :11 lines per page
Inks          : Black
Punctuation: red disc.
Frame       : red line frame
History of Manuscript : Acquired from a friend who has a manuscript bazaar in Istanbul. He has a few folios from the same Quran. But I only bought a folio from him.
Number of folios : 1 f
Support of writing : Yellowish western paper
Gatherings : N/A
Catchwords :Nil
Dimensions : 42.0 cm x  35.0 cm
Binding   : Nil
Estimated Market Price :
Purchased Price : USD
Remarks : Compare the calligraphy with my other Muhaqqaq Quran as below link..

No comments:

Post a Comment