A journey to search my soul

This is a blog of my personal collections. The purpose of this blog is to educate myself and public in regards to antiquities especially related to religion and calligraphy. I welcome everyone to input their feedback in this blog which they think would be helpful. I do not watermark the photos in this blog so everyone is free to use them as long as they are not used for illegal and unethical reasons. I appreciate if you could notify me if you plan to use any of the photos here. Enjoy browsing!!

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Ancient Manuscript Review 158 : Antique Malay Handwritten Quran ( 19th Century)



 
This is a beautifully written Quran manuscript originated from South East Asia. Every Juz first page is decorated with Surah Al Kahf full decorated in the middle. Few pages from the beginning and the ending of this Quran missing. Unfortunately this Quran is in a bad shape with most of the pages damp and covered with fungus. I have a plan to treat this Quran when I have some spare time.  This manuscript is written in Malay-Naskh calligraphy in black ink on Dutch beige paper 15 lines to a page. .All headings are written in red with every “ ayaah” or verses are separated by small red circle.  
 
The borders of the pages are ruled  double black line. About 200+ leaves ( 400+ pages). This Quran is undated but we estimated it from 18th century.  I acquired this manuscript from a friend in Indonesia in 2014.

Manuscript Specs
Item : Antique Malay Quran
Manuscript Content : Quran
Dim : 33 cm x 21 cm x 3 cm
Date : 18th century
Copyist : anonymous
Origin : South East Asia
Calligraphy : Malay - Naskh
Design : Written in Malay-Naskh scripts in red & black
Purchased Price :US

1 comment: