A journey to search my soul

This is a blog of my personal collections. The purpose of this blog is to educate myself and public in regards to antiquities especially related to religion and calligraphy. I welcome everyone to input their feedback in this blog which they think would be helpful. I do not watermark the photos in this blog so everyone is free to use them as long as they are not used for illegal and unethical reasons. I appreciate if you could notify me if you plan to use any of the photos here. Enjoy browsing!!

Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Ancient Artifact Review 108 : Antique Thai Silver Modesty Plate / Chainlink Mesh Caping/ Pubic Cover 19th Century CE

 


This is an interesting silver chain with shield shaped wire mesh modesty cover from Thailand. This chain was worn around the waist to cover private part of infant and young girls once they started walking until the age of 5 years old. Interestingly they did not wear anything else except this. 

From my research, this caping was worn by young girls in Northen Thailand.

I bought this item in Thailand however I came across a website which claimed that this mesh cover was also worn by Muslim babies in Indonesia. Anybody can verify this?

The reason this item caught my attention as it bore resemblance purpose to the Malay modesty disc or Caping as below link :

Malay Muslim Caping 01

Malay Muslim Caping 02

This chain has the length of 38cm whereas the chainlink plate has dimension of 8cm x 8cm

No comments:

Post a Comment