A journey to search my soul

This is a blog of my personal collections. The purpose of this blog is to educate myself and public in regards to antiquities especially related to religion and calligraphy. I welcome everyone to input their feedback in this blog which they think would be helpful. I do not watermark the photos in this blog so everyone is free to use them as long as they are not used for illegal and unethical reasons. I appreciate if you could notify me if you plan to use any of the photos here. Enjoy browsing!!

Friday, February 19, 2016

Antique Manuscript Review 181 : Antique Somalia Quran in a leather box ( 18th Century)

These are 7 volumes of full Quran from Somalia!! What make Quran set interesting is that it has its own box made of leather. The opening chapter is beautifully decorated with local tribal motifs.

The set was originally for Waqf and later owned by Mualim Ahmad Raml.

I still couldn't figure what type of script written. Is it a Sudani script ( from a Maghribi Script) or is it a twisted form of Naskh script. I need to do more research.It is a complete Quran without any missing page. All books are bounded with embossed leather covers.

 

This Quran is undated however bsed on my other Somalia Quran, I would safely estimated it from 18th Century..
Check my other Somalia Qurans on below links :
Somali Quran (small)
Somali Quran (small)
Somali Quran ( big)

Manuscript Specs

Item : A Somalian complete Quran in 7 books with a leather box
Content : Quran written in Naskh ( or Sudani) with vowel & diacritical signs.The world " Allah" in red. 11 lines per page
Dim : 6.5" x 4.5" x 1" ( 7 books in total)
Date : undated but estimated 18th Century
Copyist : anonymous
Origin : Somalia
Calligraphy : twisted Naskh or Sudani
Design : leather.
Purchased Price :USD

No comments:

Post a Comment