A journey to search my soul

This is a blog of my personal collections. The purpose of this blog is to educate myself and public in regards to antiquities especially related to religion and calligraphy. I welcome everyone to input their feedback in this blog which they think would be helpful. I do not watermark the photos in this blog so everyone is free to use them as long as they are not used for illegal and unethical reasons. I appreciate if you could notify me if you plan to use any of the photos here. Enjoy browsing!!

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Ancient Manuscript Review 116 : Antique Etiopia Illuminated Quran ( 19th Century CE)







This is another Etiopian Quran in my library. Covered with leather and Geometrical colorful design on the first page.
Surah Al Fatihah & the first page of Surah Al Baqarah are decorated with local motives yet I dont understand why on next pages the same surahs were written without the decorations.
The last page was written by another copyist apparently a replacement page. The page seemed old as well.
This is a very rare acquisition because we dont see many Etiopian Quran in the market or in international hands. I am blessed to have acquired this beautiful manuscript.
Look my other Etiopian Qurans as below links:
Etiopian Quran Comparison
Etiopia Minhajul Muslimin

Codicology
Title Page : Nil
Content    :A Complete Quran
Date         : 19th Century
Copyist    : N/A
Patron      : Nil
Origin      : Harrar Etiopia
Place acquired : Etiopia
Illuminations : First 3 pages with colorful illuminations.
Calligraphy : Naskh
Number of lines :15
Inks          : Main text in black with diacritical marks in red
Punctuation: red circle with black dot in middle to separate between verses.
Frame       :  Nil
History of Manuscript :
Number of folios : 330 ff
Support of writing : Western paper
Gatherings :
Catchwords :first word on subsequent page in bottom left of recto
Dimensions : 21.0 cm x 17.0 cm
Binding   :Brown leather
Estimated Market Price :
Purchased Price : USD
Remarks :

No comments:

Post a Comment