A journey to search my soul

This is a blog of my personal collections. The purpose of this blog is to educate myself and public in regards to antiquities especially related to religion and calligraphy. I welcome everyone to input their feedback in this blog which they think would be helpful. I do not watermark the photos in this blog so everyone is free to use them as long as they are not used for illegal and unethical reasons. I appreciate if you could notify me if you plan to use any of the photos here. Enjoy browsing!!

Monday, September 10, 2012

Ancient Manuscript Review 65 : Antique Sulawesi Handwritten Quran ( 18-19th century)

 



 
This is a beautifully written Quran manuscript originated from South East Asia. Specifically it could be from Sulawesi island judging from the design which is typical of its kind. Its believed to have been written in 18-19th century. This manuscript is written in Malay calligraphy. However few pages from the beginning and the ending of this manuscripts are missing. In the middle of the manuscript particularly the beginning of surah AL Kahf, the pages were illuminated with beautiful colors. Looking at this manuscript, I almost thought it was from Terengganu of origin. However Dr Annable Gallop advised me that this manuscript most probably from Sulawesi due to its design. The covers of this Quran were believed to be original but they were loose and were taped to the outer spine. The cover is made of thin brownish leather and is glued on a hard board. I acquired this manuscript from a friend in Indonesia last year.

Manuscript Specs Item : Antique Malay Sulawesi Quran
Manuscript Content : Quran
Dim : 14" x 8.5" x 2.5"
Date : 18-19th century
Copyist : anonymous
Origin : Sulawesi South East Asia
Calligraphy : Malay ?
Design : Written in Malay scripts in red & black
Purchased Price :US

No comments:

Post a Comment