A journey to search my soul

This is a blog of my personal collections. The purpose of this blog is to educate myself and public in regards to antiquities especially related to religion and calligraphy. I welcome everyone to input their feedback in this blog which they think would be helpful. I do not watermark the photos in this blog so everyone is free to use them as long as they are not used for illegal and unethical reasons. I appreciate if you could notify me if you plan to use any of the photos here. Enjoy browsing!!

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Ancient Artifact Review 28 : Malay Chinese Peranakan Silver Pillow Ends / Plates / Tampok Bantal ( 19th Century)



These are decorated silver plates which are sewn onto both ends of a bolster ( bantal peluk). These are typical Malaysia or Singapore origin.
In Malay and Peranakan Chinese weddings, the bridal bed is decorated including pillows and bolsters. For a royal wedding, gold plates are used instead.
These silver plates are Peranakan Chinese origin. This is due to the fact that there are engravings of birds among the floral & foliate motives. Malay plates normally do not have any animal engravings due to the Islamic tradition.


Specification :
Description : Peranakan Chinese bolster plates / Tampok Bantal
OD : 4 inches
Material : Silver

No comments:

Post a Comment