A journey to search my soul

This is a blog of my personal collections. The purpose of this blog is to educate myself and public in regards to antiquities especially related to religion and calligraphy. I welcome everyone to input their feedback in this blog which they think would be helpful. I do not watermark the photos in this blog so everyone is free to use them as long as they are not used for illegal and unethical reasons. I appreciate if you could notify me if you plan to use any of the photos here. Enjoy browsing!!

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Ancient Manuscript Review 147 : Antique Seljuq Seljuk Quran Bifolio 11th Century



This is one my rarest findings - Seljuq Quran manuscript!! Though it is just a bifolio, it costed me a fortune. The edge of the bifolio was severely damaged by book worms. The Quran was written in Muhaqqaq script in black ink with title in gold. The verse marker was also gilded with gold in floral motif. In the margin on both sides, there are a few gold ornamented medallions.
Seljuk empire was founded by Seljuq Bey in 1037CE stretching from Aral sea region to Iran & Anatolia. It reigned from 1037CE till 1194CE.
During the era, the link between Turk & Persian culture & tradition was fused.

Manuscript Specs

Item : Antique Seljuk Quran Bifolio
Content : Quran
 Dim :  380mm  x  280mm (bi folio)
Date : 11th Century
Copyist : Anonymous
Origin : Anatolia
Calligraphy : Muhaqqaq
Design : Written in Muhaqqaq script in black & title in gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment