A journey to search my soul

This is a blog of my personal collections. The purpose of this blog is to educate myself and public in regards to antiquities especially related to religion and calligraphy. I welcome everyone to input their feedback in this blog which they think would be helpful. I do not watermark the photos in this blog so everyone is free to use them as long as they are not used for illegal and unethical reasons. I appreciate if you could notify me if you plan to use any of the photos here. Enjoy browsing!!

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Ancient Manuscript Review 148 : Antique Batak Pustaka / Pustaha Bark Manuscript ( 18th Century)





This is my another manuscript of Batak tribe ( Indonesia) made of tree bark. The bast of a tree is pulled off in long strips and then prepared and folded like an accordion.
I couldnt understand the content of this manuscript however from the book "Illuminations The writing Traditions of Indonesia" this manuscrit is called pustaha or pustaka. It contains texts on the tribal rituals, oracles & medicine recipes.
This manuscript is covered with wooden covers and secured with a woven rope. This manuscript if unfolded is about 252 cm. Dimension is 7 cm by 10 cm.
This Pustaka was written in Batak script and in this specific manuscript only ones who are trained could understand the content. According to Van De Tuuk, this text is composed in the language code referred to as Hata Poda.
See below my other Pustaha


Antique Batak Manuscript

Manuscript Specs

Item : Antique Batak Pustaka Manuscript
Content : Batak Pustaka
Dim : 252cm x 10 cm x 7 cm
Date : 18-19th century
Copyist : anonymous
Origin : Sumatra Island ( Indonesia)
Calligraphy : Batak Script
Design : Written in batak scripts in black
Purchased Price :US

No comments:

Post a Comment